When you bring home fresh flowers in San Francisco, CA, you are delighted by their vibrance and vitality, as well as their freshness and beauty. Wouldn’t it be great if they stayed that way? You may not realize that there are things you can do to actually increase the lifespan of freshly cut flowers and help them live longer, so you can enjoy the beauty and fragrance for much longer than you may have thought possible. Read on to learn more about how to help your flowers in San Francisco, CA live longer:
- Hair spray: You may use this on your hair to preserve your style throughout the day, but it can also be used on your flowers! A spritz of hair spray can help your cut flowers look fresh for longer. However, be careful not to overdo it. Just give them a quick spray on the undersides of the leaves and petals from about a foot away.
- Apple cider vinegar and sugar: Mixing two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and two tablespoons of sugar into the water in the vase will provide your flowers with nutrients that can help them live longer. You can also use slightly more sugar and white vinegar for a similar effect. The sugar nourishes the plant and the vinegar inhibits bacterial growth, so the combination works wonders at keeping flowers in San Francisco, CA fresh for longer. Soda will also provide the same effect as sugar, but be sure to use a clear soda if you have a clear vase to avoid a brown, messy-looking concoction accumulating at the base.
- Vodka: Much like vinegar, vodka and other clear spirits can help minimize bacterial growth. Add a few drops of vodka to the vase water, and a small amount of sugar. You should change the water often, at least every other day, refreshing the vodka and sugar as well.
- Coins: If you don’t want to waste your liquor, you can use coins for the same antibacterial effect as vodka. Adding a copper penny to the vase water will act as an acidifier, which prevent bacterial growth. And don’t forget the sugar for nutrients!
- Aspirin: Another trick you can try is adding a crushed tablet of aspirin in the water in the vase before you add your flowers. The components of the aspirin help boost the plant’s immune system, similar to how it works on humans. Diluting the aspirin and adding it to the vase water will accelerate germination and add some resistance to disease and pests.
If you are looking for fresh flowers in San Francisco, CA for yourself or to give as a gift, stop by The Delicate Daisy – House of Flowers. Our charming flower shop is the premier destination for anyone looking for flowers or gifts for any occasion. We bring decades of experience to creating our flower arrangements and work with both individuals and corporate clients to create beautiful, handcrafted floral displays. Stop by the store today and see what we have in stock!