Whether you are on a stroll through a park or you’re cooking in your kitchen, fresh flowers can instantly brighten up your day with their vibrant colors and beautiful aromas. Even though you might be used to seeing flowers as part of a bouquet, they can be used as a colorful garnish in some of your culinary dishes. There are a variety of different types of flowers in San Francisco, CA that are edible and can be used as a part of a recipe to bring color, fragrance and a unique taste. Find out more about how you can incorporate flowers into your dishes, and then try your hand at using them the next time you cook:
- Flower ice cubes: Using flowers in ice cubes is a creative way to add a colorful and edible garnish to your cold drinks. Making these ice cubes is simple—all you have to do is add flowers to an ice cube tray and then cover each one with filtered water and freeze. After a few hours, you will have a tray of beautiful flower ice cubes.
- Savory salads: Even though flowers may look sweet, many edible varieties can actually have a more savory, even peppery taste. These kinds of flowers can be excellent when paired with a salad or other savory dish. Try a dark green like kale along with tomatoes and olives, and then sprinkle edible flowers on top.
- Pretty pastries: Many baked goods already have a tantalizing icing, but adding a floral garnish can make them even more colorful. Adding flowers to your pastries is an especially good idea if you are hosting a party and would like to serve a one-of-a-kind dessert.
- Petal preserves: When you use flowers in your cooking, they don’t necessarily have to be fresh. You can use rose petals, cooked and simmered with a few other ingredients, to create a bright and colorful rose petal jam that’s perfect to pair with tea and bread.
- Fried flowers: Believe it or not, flowers with a tempura batter are a surprisingly tasty treat. You can batter them as you would just about anything else and then pan fry them for a crispy dish that is truly unique.
There are so many beautiful and unique applications for flowers. They can bring a fresh atmosphere to your home or brighten up your dinner plate. No matter how you like to use flowers in San Francisco, CA, you want to be sure that you are getting the most beautiful plants available. At The Delicate Daisy – House of Flowers, we specialize in providing our customers with freshly cut flowers that they can use for everything from décor to cooking and baking. We have been a locally owned and operated flower shop in San Francisco since 1939, and we strive to deliver only the freshest and most beautiful flowers to our customers. Call us to find out more about the services that we have available, and come by and see us to pick out some of our beautiful flowers for yourself.