Keep Pets in Mind When Buying Flowers in San Francisco, CA

Deciding to send someone a beautiful flower arrangement is a great gift idea for any occasion, and getting a bouquet for your home is a wonderful way to add some spark to your life. Flowers smell pleasant, look lovely and add a bit of natural decor to any space, but while giving flowers is a caring gesture, you should pay special attention if the recipient’s household includes pets. Since there are a fair number of plants that are poisonous to our furry friends, it’s important to know which to avoid when buying fresh flowers in San Francisco, CA. Here’s a look at some of the most common:

  • Chrysanthemums: Vibrant in color and capable of emanating a pungent odor, chrysanthemums are not likely to lead to death in animals, but they can cause severe discomfort and loss of coordination if ingested. Symptoms begin to appear when too much of the flower or any other part of the plant is consumed—diarrhea, vomiting, dermatitis and increased salivation are signs of trouble.
  • Amaryllis: A pretty flower that grows in a variety of colors and patterns, the amaryllis flower is a popular plant found in many home gardens—even in gardens of pet owners. While the bulbs are the most toxic part of the plant, its petals are also poisonous. Watch for signs of abdominal pain, tremors, loss of appetite, depression, vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Baby’s breath: These are the adorable clusters of little white flowers commonly used as ornamental filler in floral arrangements. Baby’s breath adds a hint of freshness while contributing visual appeal. Although its name sounds safe enough, baby’s breath can actually wreak havoc on your pet’s digestive system. Signs of poisoning include vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Daffodils: With their distinctive shape and fragrance, daffodils are found in vases and gardens everywhere, but this lovely flower can be very dangerous to your furry friends. Even though the bulb is the most poisonous part of the daffodil, the flower, leaves and stem are also toxic. Symptoms include intestinal spasms, tremors, cardiac arrhythmia, breathing issues, vomiting, diarrhea and heavy salivation.
  • Carnations: Carnations are popular flowers with solid or multicolor petals used in flower arrangements and bouquets. Their fluffy and puffball-looking petals are not only pretty in tabletop vases, but are also slightly poisonous to pets. Keep carnations out of reach from cats and dogs and watch for signs of ingestion, including mild gastrointestinal issues and mild cases of dermatitis.
  • Lilies: The lily is a common flower included in floral arrangements, as it has a pleasant fragrance (unless you have lily pollen allergies), comes in several shapes and sizes and grows in a number of unique varieties. On the bad side, some lilies, like the Easter lily, tiger lily, day lily, Asian lily and Japanese show lily are extremely toxic to cats and kittens when consumed, as eating even a small portion can lead to kidney failure.

It’s easy to keep animals safe while giving the gift of fresh flowers when you know the types of flowers that may be toxic to household pets. If you have questions about the availability of flowers in San Francisco, CA or wish to talk to a knowledgeable florist before buying flowers for a pet lover, contact The Delicate Daisy – House of Flowers today!

Leave a Reply