Since ancient times, flowers have held an important place in every culture. Flowers have been used for healing, as symbols of power, to express love or to issue a warning. While today we love flowers for the way they can be enjoyed with nearly all of the senses, each flower has its own unique meaning.
You are probably most familiar with the meaning tied to the rose: love, passion and romance. But have you ever wondered what some of the other flowers symbolize? As your premier source for floral gifts in San Francisco, CA, we often have customers asking us what symbolism is tied to each flower in a bouquet. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Daisy: It seems appropriate to start with the flower that is part of the name of our shop, the daisy. The sweet daisy has several meanings, including purity, innocence and cheerfulness.
- Hydrangea: This beautiful flower is a symbol for heartfelt emotions, including gratitude or being understood. On the negative side, it can also be used as a symbol of frigidity and heartlessness.
- Bird of paradise: This flower is a symbol of magnificence, joy, excitement and anticipation.
- Amaryllis: This flower is the symbol for splendid beauty, as well as a worth beyond beauty.
- Bouvardia: Enthusiasm and a zest for life are symbolized by this flower.
- Calla lily: The calla lily is a symbol of magnificence and beauty. The white variety is also indicative of purity and innocence, which makes the calla lily a common addition to wedding bouquets.
- Alstroemeria: This is a flower that symbolizes fortune, prosperity and wealth. It can also be used to symbolize friendship.
- Carnation: Perhaps one of the most common bouquet flowers, the carnation has several symbols depending on the color. For example, a pink carnation symbolizes love of a woman, while a yellow variety means disdain, rejection or disappointment.
- Chrysanthemum: This flower is a symbol for fidelity, joy, long life and optimism.
- Aster: The meanings behind this flower include patience, elegance, daintiness and a love of variety.
- Daffodil: The daffodil is a symbol for regard, chivalry, rebirth, new beginnings and eternal life. On a darker note, it can also be a symbol for unrequited love.
- Lilac: Innocence and confidence are the symbols behind the lilac. White lilacs symbolize humility and innocence.
- Larkspur: This flower is a symbol for eloquence. The purple variety can also mean wisdom, while blue symbolizes faith and hope.
- Heather: This unique flower can have a variety of meanings depending on the color. White is a symbol for protection, while lavender means admiration, solitude and beauty.
Of course there are many other flowers and symbols to go with them, which is why when people try to convey their true feelings, they often choose to do so with flowers. If you are looking for floral gifts in San Francisco, CA, be sure to stop in and see our selection at The Delicate Daisy – House of Flowers. We’d love to help you put together the bouquet or arrangement that communicates just the right message to its recipient.